SSE Airtricity announces 5% price cuts in ROI
- 5% price cut will benefit SSE Airtricity’s 400,000 household customers -
- Dual fuel customers to save up to €101 annually from 1 August -
- New 8% Reward Discount launched saving existing customers another €135 -
- Price cuts and Reward Discounts deliver total annual customer savings of €236 -
SSE Airtricity is cutting its standard electricity and gas unit rates and standing charges by 5% in the Republic of Ireland, saving dual fuel household customers €101 annually. The price cuts come into effect from 1 August and apply to all of SSE Airtricity’s 400,000 home energy customers as well as to all new customers . This is the third successive price cut by SSE Airtricity for ROI customers since April last year.
SSE Airtricity Standard Plan customers already get an ongoing 4% discount for choosing direct debit and eBilling, representing an additional annual customer saving of €68 on top of the €101 savings being announced today. SSE Airtricity has always automatically applied ongoing discounts toStandard Plan home energy accounts after Introductory Plans end. These automatic discounts are based on a customer’s payment and billing methods, do not require any opt-in or contract and have no end date.
In addition to announcing 5% price cuts, SSE Airtricity is today also unveiling a new 8% Reward Discount that can save all existing dual fuel customers on the automatic 4% discount yet another €67 when they upgrade their existing plan. This new 8% Reward Discount brings the total annual savings available to customers to €135. The Reward Discount is available to customers who opt-in for either a one-year or two-year contract and lasts for the duration of the contract chosen.
If you are an existing customer and you wish to upgrade to SSE Airtricity’s new 8% Reward Discount, you can do so here.
The 5% price cuts and new Reward Discount announced today mean SSE Airtricity is now delivering combined annual savings for existing customers totalling €236. New customers and customers on current introductory discounts will continue to benefit from automatic standard price discounting and the choice of new Reward Discounts when their introductory rates end.
Stephen Wheeler, SSE Airtricity Managing Director, said:
“At SSE Airtricity we believe in making sure all our customers are getting great value. That’s why today we’re announcing our third price cut in a row. We’re cutting our standard energy prices by 5% which will save our gas and electricity customers €101 on a typical annual bill. On top of that, we’re continuing to reward our customers by giving automatic discounts for choosing direct debit and eBill, saving our customers an extra €68.
“Today we’re also pleased that we’re launching a new Reward Discount that will help our customers to save even more on their annual energy costs by allowing them to upgrade to even bigger discounts and save up to €135 against our standard prices. By delivering our third successive price cut since April last year and by offering our customers competitive choices in discounted standard price plans, we’re making a real difference for our customers.”
Customers who wish to upgrade to SSE Airtricity’s new 8% Reward Discount can do so by calling 1850 81 82 24 or by going online at sseairtricity.com.
SSE Airtricity has partnered with permanent tsb to give cashback to customers who pay their gas and electricity bills via direct debit through permanent tsb’s new Explore Account, also launching today (1 June). SSE Airtricity customers paying their bills from permanent tsb’s new Explore Account will receive 2% of each bill paid as cashback into their Explore Account, totalling €39 on average for a typical annual Reward Discount dual fuel customer and bringing the total energy savings for qualifying customers to €275 annuallyhere.. Read the full story
Since SSE Airtricity entered Ireland’s competitive household energy market in 2009 the company has delivered combined savings in home energy costs of over €100 million to all its customers on introductory and discounted standard plan prices.
1. Price cut savings quoted against existing standard prices and based on a household energy customer on Standard 24hr credit meter tariffs with typical annual consumption of 5,300 kWh for electricity and 13,800 kWh for natural gas. €101.50 dual fuel saving quoted based on electricity saving of €57.28 and gas saving of €44.22. Annual savings quoted for Standard Plan, Reward Discount and permanent tsb Explore Account customers and combined savings quoted (€236 and €275) are against new standard prices (from 1 August) and also based on typical dual fuel customer usage. Figures quoted rounded to the nearest Euro value and are inclusive of applicable levies and VAT. Actual savings vary according to meter type, individual tariff and consumption.
2. SSE Airtricity provides electricity and natural gas to 408,589 Domestic customers. Figures quoted based on latest Electricity and Gas Retail Markets Annual Report 2015, published by the Commission for Energy Regulation, May 2016.
3. 64% of SSE Airtricity Standard Plan customers automatically receive a 4% discount for choosing direct debit and eBilling. Other automatic Standard Plan discounts include a 3% discount for choosing direct debit, and a 1% discount for eBilling.
4. 8% Reward Discount is based a one year or two year contract. After the Reward Discount contract term ends, customer accounts will automatically revert to the applicable up to 4% ongoing discount based on a customer’s payment and billing method.